There are situations when we need to limit physical contact with other people. Among these situations not only can we list endangering life cases, like the current Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, but also less serious in consequences periods, such as seasonal infections, working conditions (for instance working abroad, in travel industry), as well as when we are overwhelmed with duties and are fighting against time.
These situations can be short-term like a couple of days, but sometimes they are prolonged to the next months or even years. It can be stressful to experience social distancing, which can have a negative impact on our mental and physical well-being. Limiting stress and finding different support strategies are therefore very important to maintain our daily well-being.
Below you can find some useful tips. Bringing them into effect definitely will support you and make your life much healthier!
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
Overall, at times of stress it is important to take extra care of yourself – your mind and your body:
• Eat healthy and nourishing foods
• Drink plenty of water
• Be physically active
• Engage in relaxing activities
• Get enough sleep
• Stay in contact with friends and family
However, avoid taking extreme measures during stressful times, such as drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, smoking or taking drugs, as they can ultimately worsen your mental and physical well-being.
Limit stress & support your immune system
Excessive stress can have an impact on your immune system. The immune system requires balance and harmony to function well. The general well-being strategies outlined above also supports your immune system.
It is imperative to eat a diet high in fruit, berries and vegetables that are rich in vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, dietary fibre and other bioactive compounds that help combat oxidative stress, keep your gut healthy and support your immune defence.
There is no substitute for a healthy diet, but food supplements can help to maintain an adequate intake of certain nutrients during times of stress or when you are feeling a little run down.
Wellness by Oriflame products are there to support you to live a healthy lifestyle and maintain your daily wellbeing. Products that can help to support your immune system are: Multivitamin & Mineral (man/woman), Astaxanthin & Bilberry Extract.
Use different support strategies
During social distancing there are several things that you could do to support your mental and physical well-being:
• Try to maintain your daily schedule as much as possible, such as mealtimes and sleep routines.
• Try to get outside during the day for a minimum of 30 minutes. Daylight helps control your circadian rhythm, so you stay awake during the day and become tired at night.
• Stay socially connected with friends, family and co-workers using virtual and interactive tools. We live in a digital age which is helpful in times with limited physical social contact.
• Take the opportunity to improve your cooking skills if stuck at home. Try out healthy recipes with high-quality protein, dietary fibre and healthy fats. Our Wellness by Oriflame products can be used making delicious meals!
• Schedule a reoccurring virtual “fika” break with your friends, family or co-workers. Getting together to chat and share positive stories to get the mind off stressors.
• Schedule breaks during the day to not end up sitting for prolonged periods of time. It is very easy to become sedentary. At the workplace you often do not notice all the mini breaks that occur; breaks that are important for your body to stay healthy. You can perform different types of stretches.
• If you are used to go to the gym, learn physical exercises that you can perform at home that will both energize and reduce boredom. Also try to be active outside, go for a walk, run or use the outside gyms if available.
• It can be easy to end up working from the couch. It does not matter if it happens sporadically, but it is not ideal for prolonged periods of time. Having an ergonomic workspace that fits your needs gives less strain on your body but can also help with your workflow.
Chose a desk that align well with your chair, so your arms and upper body get sufficient support. At times, try to stand up and work, using a nearby dresser if available.